- Welcome Back! Although we have had an unusual startup due to a decrease in enrolment, the students are settling in nicely into their classes. It has been so great to see all the smiling faces once again!
- Welcome Back BBQ and Meet the Teacher We invite all Kent students and families to a BBQ at 5:00pm on Thursday, September 20th in the back field. Please bring water/juice and any plates/utensils you may need. This will help to reduce waste. Following the BBQ, at 6:00, teachers will be in their classrooms for you to stop in and meet them. We look forward to seeing you all there!
House Games Mr. Gallamore has the boys house games going already – loud cheers and high fives can be heard as our boys play handball twice a week. Girls’ house games start next week!
- Soccer and X-Country Mr. Penner has started a soccer team at Kent. The team will travel to Chilliwack to play other schools (we are the only co-ed team J). Mrs. Gallamore is also inviting interested students to see her about our cross-country running program. Students travel to Chilliwack during the fall to race against themselves and other schools.
Choir Mrs. Di Rezze has started our choir program again this year. Students have the option of participating in this program Wednesday afternoons.
- CHOICES is Back! We are pleased to say that we will be offering CHOICES for 3 sessions this year (October-February-April)! CHOICES encourages students to discover areas of strength or interest. If you (parents/families) are interested in offering an activity in an area of your interest, please contact the school.
- Welcome to New Staff We have had some new people join our staff again this year. Mrs. Roste is our K/1 teacher (previously at Coquihalla Elementary); Mrs. Kelly is our Halq’emeylem teacher (working also in Chilliwack); Ms. Price is our new Special Education Assistant (previously at AESS); we also have Mr. Penner back as a grade 5/6 teacher and Mrs. Smith has moved to teaching grade 1. We are excited about these changes and additions to Kent School!
- Hill Taking Form Our new school hill is all shaped and ready to be seeded. The students are anxiously awaiting the opening of the hill for a new area to play. Thank you to Collin Johnson, Wendy Clark, and Naim Kafi for all their hard work with this.
Leaders Already! Many students continue to create a culture of leadership at Kent School. Our grade 6’s volunteer every lunch to help out with the primaries by reading and sharing stories with them.
- Fall Fair Friday Students and staff wore their country/agri-gear today and took part in some fun activities to get ready for the Agassiz Fall Fair!
Notes and Information
- Please remember to have an extra set of clothes at the school for primary students. When it gets wet and muddy, these are always needed.
- A message from the RCMP: all parents that may need criminal record checks should do so now. If you are planning on volunteering at the school, do not wait and get the CR checks done as there is often a delay. Police have forms there if you are unable to get one at the school and remember to say you are volunteering at the school so there is no fee.
- Please find a form for Booster Juice orders in your child’s pack. Orders must be in by Wednesday, September 19th.
- A friendly reminder to all families to please speak with their child about the importance of using sidewalks, cross walks and staying on the school side of the yellow line in our parking lot.
- Our Friday cooking program. “Food For Thought” will continue again this year with the leadership of chef and nutritionist Miel Bernstein. If you are interested in helping out, please contact Miel at email@example.com
- A reminder that we no longer have a meals program at Kent so please send 2 healthy snacks and a lunch with your child. We are a junk free school so please do not send chips, pop, or candy. If you are in need of support for food, please contact the school as we are able to help.
- Peanut Allergies. We have a few classrooms with students in them who experience anaphylaxis due to peanuts. PLEASE ensure your child brings only peanut free foods as this can cause severe harm to the children with allergies. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the school. More information will be coming out this month.
- PICTURE DAY – Wednesday, September 19th for individual and class photos.